Painting can be a fun and inexpensive D.I.Y. project. Here are some tips to ensure that it is done perfectly!
- Chose a lighter color then expected. The paint swatch may not seem very dark, but once you paint a whole room it will be overwhelming. If you do not like the color, the worst thing that will happen is having to repaint.
- The celling does not need to stay white.
- Make sure to use painter’s tape along the edges. It gives you room to make mistakes. Do not remove the tape until the paint is fully dry.
- If any of your walls have holes or cracks, do not paint over it. Spackle over any imperfections before you paint.
- Many paint stores will offer sample sizes, so you are able to try out different colors rather then buying a gallon.
- Once you have your rollers, wrap your painter’s tape around it and peel it off. This gets rid of the loose fluff, and keeps it off your paint!
- Remove all furniture from the room that you are painting (or at least cover it). Mistakes happen.
- Dip the brush an inch in the paint, and scrape one side off on the side of the paint can. This will avoid paint runs.
- Paint in long strokes.
- Always paint two coats! It will cover up any mistakes you made during the first coat, it will also brighten your color.
- Let the paint fully dry before the second coat.
- Scrape of paint drips on windows, tile or glass with a straight razor blade. It will remove them cleanly.